
The Making Your Home a haven Challenge continues this week and I am hanging in there. My candle is still burning and I have been praying continually for peace in my home and among my family.
This week's challenge will be to add soft music to the environment. We are all music lovers in this family, the only hard thing about this challenge will be agreeing on the type of music that will be played. I'm sure we will be able to come to an agreement. Maybe we will each choose something for a particular day. If you want to participate and need suggestions, Courtney has some good ideas over at her blog.
The next part of the challenge is to work on ME. . . .(did I say choosing the music would be the hard part?)
1. When you feel tempted to raise your voice, use a child's name in a snarl, furrow your brow into a scowl or speak rapidly in anger...purposely lower your voice to just above a whisper. Proverbs 15:1 says "A gentle answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger." Focus on gentle words, facial expressions, and touches.
I pretty much need to memorize this verse, or maybe have it tattooed on my wrist or something. I honestly do think I am going to post it on the fridge as a reminder. I will work hard not to raise my voice this week and beyond, no matter how frustrated I get with whatever circumstances are thrown at me.
2. Purpose to not let someone else's anger make you angry. Many times as a wife and mom I find myself responding to other's emotions. Someone in the family is grumpy and two minutes later I'm grumpy too. Someone in the family is speaking harshly and two minutes later I'm speaking harshly too. Purpose to stay in control of your emotions and not let the other members of your family dictate your mood.
This is another biggie for me. I have a hard time controlling my emotions, and I find myself responding negatively to other's emotions, anger, tone of voice, etc. I will be praying for self control this week.
3. Yelling at a bud won't make it bloom. Your home will not blossom into a haven if you are not controlling your temper.
Controlling my temper? Like I said, prayers for self control!!!
4. Continue to pray for peace in your home. Persevere in prayer for your family. James 5:16b says, "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
I am enjoying the accountability of this challenge. All of these things I should be doing already, and should be able to do on my own, but the challenge is just the push I needed.
Thanks again Courtney for this motivation!!!
7 comments:
All four of those are great! It sure helps to have them identified like that, so that it's easier to recognize when you are getting upset because someone else is... or raising your voice.
Have to say though - that music thing won't work in our home... because the boys LOOOOOVE Toby Keith and there just ain't no way to play him softly, LOL! :) Have a great (peaceful) week!
I so needed to read this! I'm sure we all do!
Following the Challenge alongside you!
Patty
This is fabulous, girl! I read your post about the candle the other day, but I was holding the sweet little thing, so I couldn't comment. I love to burn candles this time of year and just got one the other day, in fact. Now I love looking at it and saying a little prayer when it's burning.
We've always loved listening to music. We've been turning on the radio in the a.m. when the kids and I are making breakfast. I also blast it when I'm cleaning house. Have you ever listened to K-Love? Fabulous station!
I needed to read this. I have a hard time in the patience department and I let my emos run wild sometimes. I remind myself to "speak in love" all the time.
I needed to read this. I have a hard time in the patience department and I let my emos run wild sometimes. I remind myself to "speak in love" all the time.
Oh my word. I so need this... going to find that challenge and jump in.
Post a Comment