Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cleaning ~ Plain and Simple



This is one of my favorite post on my blog, one that I refer back to often. Today I decided to share with everyone over at We are that Family for Works for me Wednesday. Enjoy!!
Thanks for visiting!!

A few weeks ago I posted about a cleaning book that I picked up at the library. The book is called Cleaning Plain & Simple, written by Donna Smallin. If you missed that post you can go here to read it.

Today I want to share a few more tips with you that I have gathered from this book. I it! It is full of inexpensive, green cleaning methods. Basically, I will never spend big bucks for fancy cleaning solutions again. Except for the Clorox Wipes, I CANNOT live without those! For the past few weeks I have cleaned my home from top to bottom using only vinegar and ammonia mixed with water and a little peroxide.

Now, I am going to list a few cleaning solution "recipes" that are easy, cheap, and can be used by everyone. . . . .

Make your own:

~Wall Cleaner~
Dissolve 1/2 cup of borax in 1 gallon of warm water. Stir in 1/2 tablespoon of ammonia.

~Tub and Tile Cleaner~
Formula #1 ~ Mix 1 2/3 cups of baking soda, 1/2 cup of dish washing liquid, and 1/2 cup of water. Then add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Apply, scrub, and rinse.
Formula #2~ Combine 1/4 cup of borax and 1/4 cup of baking soda. Add 1 1/2 cups of hot water and stir until mixed. Apply, scrub, and rinse.

How To:

~Steam-clean your microwave~
How do you loosen food particles stuck to the inside of the microwave when you have obviously went WAY too long without cleaning it?!
Pour 2 cups of water into a microwave-safe container; for a fresh scent, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or a few slices of lemon. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove the container and wipe the oven clean. You can accomplish the same thing by microwaving 2 cup of vinegar in a bowl.

~Remove grass & dirt stains from baseball/football pants~
(This is not in the book, I actually learned this technique from another baseball mom, but it works like a charm and I think this is the perfect post to share it in!!)
Cover the stains with liquid Cascade & scrub away at the spots with an old toothbrush, then wash as you normally would. The stains will disappear in front of your eyes!

Thanks for letting me share some ideas! Hopefully some of you will be able to put these to use for some quick & easy cleaning around your place!



4 comments:

Brandi said...

Are you still cleaning? Man, I need you to come and help me!!! My house is a wreck. I've got too many projects going on right now trying to get organized for school and trying to clean up around here, etc., etc. :) BTW, I like your new "best" friend!

Gwen said...

I have lots of lemons, so I am going to try that in my microwave with some H2O!

Angie said...

Thanks for the great tips! I have been wanting to mix up some solutions for cleaning to be more green and also save $.

Jenny said...

I hate cleaning. I do it when I can otherwise I don't bother (unless it's gross and will grow maggots).