Friday, November 27, 2009

Christmas Traditions

It's Friday, and that means Show us your life @ Kelly's Korner. This week is Christmas Traditions. Christmas is one of the times of the year that I actually do keep up a hefty list of things that just MUST be done. But they are fun and they are traditions for our family.
Here's the list of Christmas to do's for our home:
1. Make/decorate cakes to celebrate the birth of Jesus, no particular day for this one. Sometimes it is with the extended family, sometimes just us.
2. Make a gingerbread house.
3. On Christmas Eve, decorate cookies for Santa.
4. Exchange gifts with the kids on Christmas Eve.
5. Read the Christmas Story from the Bible. (this is a good task for an older child, Big10 in our case.)
6. Watch The Nativity Story. (new last year for the list)
7. See the drive thru nativity presented by a local church.
This is the only picture I could find of the kids celebrating the birth of Jesus with the extended family. Each child had their own cake to decorate and their own candle to blow out.
Not so long ago we used to spend Christmas Eve with my parents. Last year was the first Christmas after my dad passed away. For reasons difficult to explain, I do not celebrate with my mom or sister any longer, and boy was it different. It was a very empty feeling for me. Luckily, I have my own little family to enjoy Christmas Eve with!! We always exchange gifts with the kids on Christmas Eve. I get them both identical presents, normally the same presents each year. Always a teddy bear, a new set of pj's, and a bath set!! And sometimes a few other small items. They are still surprised when they open these gifts each year, I think they must forget from year to year!!
We normally all have a sleep over in mom & dad's room on Christmas Eve. That way no one gets in to see what Santa brought before the video camera is set!! Also, dad normally gets up first and gets the fire started for us.
I am really looking forward to this Christmas!! I have been working on my decorations today!!
Come back soon to see the results!

For now, head on over to Kelly's to see what traditions other's like to practice with their families.
Have a great weekend!




4 comments:

Kathy said...

Im sorry to hear of your Dad's passing and the change in traditions :( Time brings change and my prayers are with your new traditions:) Decorating your own birthday cake looke like soooo much fun!!

Bethany at 3SonsPlus1 said...

I love the idea of the kids having their own birthday cakes to decorate- I may have to borrow this one!!

And I'm sorry to read about the difficulty of celebrating without your Dad and the strain with your Mom. Life is so hard sometimes- blessings to you and your family!

klinsfamom said...

My dad passes away 2 years ago on New Year's Eve and things for our family have changed, too.

FROM MARRIAGE TO MOTHERHOOD said...

I'm due with our little girl in January; I can't wait until she's of age to make a ginger bread house! I think that would be such a fun thing to do together : )