Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Clean Up Game

Today I am cleaning. I cleaning! NOT!!! However, my home is in distress. Earlier this week I picked up a book at the library that has some great how to's for deep cleaning. Honestly, I have never given this house a deep cleaning, so I have alot of work ahead of me. Surely I will not be done today. I started on the kitchen lastnight and will continue today. So far, I have emptied all the cabinets, wiped them down, and reorganized them all. WOW!!
Today's goal is to get my floors done. The book recommends to clean my laminate wood floors with 1 cup vinegar in 1 gallon of warm water. I will clean the linoleum (yucky! I hate linoleum!!) in the kitchen & baths with 2 cups ammonia in 1 gallon of hot water. Also, it list a couple of neat tricks for removing the black scuff marks that sometimes show up on your floor. I may very well be the only person left on earth that has linoleum flooring, but if not you may want to hear these tricks of the trade. To remove scuff marks you can use an art gum or pink pencil eraser. Or spray a little WD-40 on a towel and lightly rub the mark until it disappears. I have also removed these with a magic eraser before.
And finally I wanted to leave you with a recipe to make your own (Green) All-Purpose Cleaner:
Combine 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil based laundry detergent,
1 teaspoon of borax laundry detergent,
and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar with 1 quart of hot water.
Wish me luck y'all. I want to be able to eat off these floors if I choose!!
Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start. . .You want to come and clean mine? :)

Brandi said...

Hey, I was going to tell you I can't stand the way vinegar smells, but it really is great for cleaning. I used vinegar/water to clean my stove (black stove = VERY hard to clean) and it looked fabulous. This evening (you inspired me) I used it to wipe down the walls in the hallway . . . to make a long story short, what came off the walls should never be discussed. :)

Me & My House said...

Thanks, Tina and you have a new look since last dropped by...looks like yo were up to a lot while I was in Bama! Hope your home is fresh and clean now! I love it!

The Mommy said...

Great tips and cute blog!